Tuesday, February 1, 2011

TOp Tens for January

What a month this has been with all kinds of snow and yuck! Dance was cancelled one day, school was cancelled one day. Poor little Alison got a small fracture in her foot, and we finally got our basement back in order! The girls continue to amaze me more and more everyday. Lauren is really getting to be such a big girl and we actually have days with no temper tantrums, which is so great! And Alison is getting more and more verbal and better able to tell us what she wants, which is great. They are two sweet little girls, and I feel so blessed to have them as my daughters!

Here's what they have each been up to this month!

Lauren's Top Ten
Lauren received her progress report from school and it was fantastic! It said she is an independent thinker, a natural leader and she always gives 100%, and she has made new friends and is liked by her peers and she is proficient in every category! We are SOOOOO proud!!!

1. Her hands...when we were in Nashville, Lauren named her hands Jack and Karly, so now every once in awhile, she will talk about Jack and Karly and the adventures they are having. Her gloves are their coats and she talks to them like they are having a great time. What an imagination!

2. Playing after bedtime...Lauren loves to play in her room after we put her to bed, especially with her little Strawberry Shortcake house. Some nights she is great and will just stay in her room and go to bed, but other times she will come out and say random things. She will say, "I just need to tell you one more thing..." (thinks for a minute).."Can we play hopscotch when it's summer outside?"

3. Tag...she has really been enjoying the Tag reader that she received as a Christmas gift. Hopefully it will help her to read even better!

4. Reading People Magazine....a girl after my own heart! She loves to flip through the magazine and look for faces she recognizes, and she also loves to have me name the people she doesn't know.

5. Dress-ups...now that I have moved the dress up clothes upstairs, she loves to play dress-up. She will typically put on a "fashion show" right around the time I am making dinner.

6. Silly Favors...we made up a game called silly favors. We mostly play it at the dinner table, and Lauren will say "Mommy, can you do me a favor?" And I will say "Sure, Lauren, what do you need?" And she will say "Can you put Daddy's hair in two braids?" And then she will crack up!

7. The boys at school...she is pretty funny about talking about the kids at school, because sometimes she will say "This person is always bad." And she has now started to play with the boys, and she mostly talks about this little boy Conor. And his mom says he is always talking about Lauren. I wish I could be a fly on the wall at school one day and see how she plays with the other kids.

8. Exercising...Brad has been exercising for about the past six months, so the other day, Lauren put on her exercise clothes (black sparkly pants, a tank top and pink sparkly sneakers) and ran around the house for about 8 minutes, and she would stop every couple of laps and take a huge sip of water. Then, when she was finished, she said "I am SO sweaty, I need to take a shower right now." Props to her for exercising, she is definitely the most sparkly dressed exerciser I have seen!

9. Sitting on the heat....she is obsessed with sitting on the heat vents. She will get a blanket and sit on the heat to keep herself warm! Maybe if she wouldn't wear summer dresses around she wouldn't be so cold! :)

10. Writing her letters...she is getting better and better and writing her letters and lately she wants to know how to spell all sorts of things! My favorite letter to watch her write is "R" because she makes a circle and then she draws two lines coming out of the circle. So cute.

Alison's Top Ten
Still such a sweet baby, she loves to cuddle and suck her thumb, but is starting be really good at telling us what she wants. She says "Nooo" and she nods her head "yes" with vigor, especially when she really wants something. She says more words than I can count, but I love the ways she says "Up pease" when she wants to be picked up or helped up onto the couch.

1. Watching TV...she has started to become interested in watching TV, which is good for me! She will sit for 10-15 minutes at the most, but that's a start! She especially likes to watch "Olivia" when the music is playing and she can be in the other room and hear the music and she says "Olivia!" and comes running.

2. Independent....Alison likes to do things herself (just like another blue-eyed blond-haired cutie I know!), and these days she likes to walk to the car more than being carried. Which is fine, except when there is snow on the ground! And I love to see Lauren and Alison holding hands walking to the car.

3. "Cheese!"...whenever I get the camera out, Alison says "Cheese!" and then she wants to see the picture after I take the picture. I have gotten some great pictures of her "cheesing".

4. Picking her nose...it's pretty funny to see her picking her nose because she really sticks her fingers all the way up there.

5. Reading....I love to look into the playroom and see Alison sitting there reading a book, and she usually has about 10 books on the floor all around her. She will go in her room and pick out a book before we go to bed as well, and she definitely has her favorites.

6. Elmo...he is probably the most recognizable character to her right now! And I am pretty sure it's because we have so many Elmos all over our house! It's pretty cute the ways she says "Elmo."

7. Dress-ups....she loves dress ups like Lauren, but she is mostly into the jewelry and the shoes since she can't really get the clothes on by herself yet. But I am sure it won't be long.

8. Lauren...she loves her big sister SOOOO much, and I just love to see them hugging. It's dangerous though because it only takes her watching Lauren do something one time before she wants to do it, like trying to jump from the ottoman to the couch or jumping from the arm of the couch to the couch or pulling a little chair up to the side table to eat a snack while watching TV.

9. Checking for earrings...she loves to look at my earrings (when I wear them which is not all that often), and then she will always look at the other ear to see if they are the same.

10. Coloring...she likes to get a crayon or marker and color while Lauren is coloring.

11. Batteries...she has learned quickly about toys needing batteries. If she picks up a toy and it doesn't work, she will say "batteries." So smart!

No comments: